The Karnataka State B Division League Championship for Men, 2013, kicked off today at the familiar outdoor courts of the Kanteerava Sports Complex, Bangalore.
The tournament will go on until July 13. The top two teams from this division will move up to the ‘A’ division. The winning team also takes home the Sri. M C Srinivasa Memorial Trophy. These ‘B’ Division Championships closely follows on the heels of the ‘C’ Division Championships that concluded in the last week of June.
Twelve teams from various districts all over Karnataka had initially registered for the ‘B’ division league. These teams have been divided into two zones- ‘A’ and ‘B’.
The KS Hegde team from Mangalore failed to show up which resulted in a walkover for Sports Hostel, Bangalore. The opening match of the tournament, between Rising Star, Mysore and Bharath Sports Union, was interrupted midway through the third quarter due to a short spell of rains, but the organizers did well to wipe the puddles of water off the court and complete all the games scheduled for the day.
Results for Matches played at Kanteerava Courts on 4-7-2013:
- Rising Star, Mysore 58 (Supradeep 31, Naveen 11) bt Bharath Sports Union, Malleswaram 50 (Adeel 19) HT 27-23.
- Sports Hostel, Bangalore gets walkover against K. S. Hedge, Mangalore
- National Games Village BC 60 (Issac 14 Kunal 13) bt Rovers, Dharwad 30 (Kishan 9) HT 34-19.
- Indiranagar Basketball Club (IBBC) 54 (Nityn 21) bt SAI, Dharwad 23 (Suraj 8) HT 32-11.
- Jayanagar Sports Club 51 (Varun 14, Preetham 10) bt VBC, Mandya 40 (Shamanth 17) HT 21-20.
- Southern Blues 64 (Naveen 12, Arun 10) bt Kanaka, Kolar 55 (Guruprasad 25, Kishore 10) HT 29-29.
Schedule for Day 2, 5-7-2013:
Court No. 1
- Rovers, Dharwad v. Sports Hostel, Bangalore; 3:00 PM onwards
- K. S. Hegde, Mangalore v. Rising Star, Mysore
- Indiranagar Basketball Club (IBBC) v. VBC, Mandya
Court No. 2
- National Games Village BC v. Bharat Sports Union; 3:00 PM onwards
- Kanaka, Kolar v. SAI, Dharwad
- Jayanagar Sports Club v. Southern Blues