Karnataka State ‘B’ Division League Championship for Men 2013: Day 5 roundup
The stage is set for the knockout rounds, with the top two teams from both Zones now confirmed. With their wins today, IBBC (5-0) and JSC (4-1) have qualified for the knockout stages from Zone A. Sports Hostel, Bangalore (4-0) and Rising Star, Mysore (4-0) will fight it out tomorrow (Tuesday, 9-7-2013) for the top spot from Zone B.
Day five, which marked the halfway point of these championships, saw all the matches proceed along scripted lines. The Rain Gods could do only so much to delay the inevitable for Bharath Sports Union in their rematch against Sports Hostel, Bangalore. The two teams had initially met on Day 3, when the match had to be called off due to rain interruption.
Their rematch today was lengthened by three rain delays in each of the first three quarters. Unlike the previous game, where Sports Hostel opened up a sizeable lead, BSU managed to stay in the hunt right till the final whistle. Sports Hostel eventually eked out an eight point win, with their forward Ganesh, producing yet another high scoring performance (27 points).
Apart from the Sports Hostel v. BSU game, all other matches of the day were one sided. The regional dynasties, JSC and IBBC, waltzed through their respective encounters. IBBC’s match, in particular, was so lopsided that their Centre Karan even tried his hand at shooting three pointers (he was 1-1 from deep). In the final match of the evening, Rising Star, Mysore literally kept rising over their smaller opponents, Rovers, Dharwad to win 51-36.
Results for Matches played at Kanteerava Courts on Day 5, Monday, 8-7-2013:
- Sports Hostel, Bangalore 64 (Ganesh 27, Gagan 13) bt Bharath Sports Union 56 (Adeel 16) HT 35-27.
- Jayanagar Sports Club (JSC) 53 (Minhal 10) bt SAI, Dharwad 38 (Suraj 11) HT 21-19.
- Indiranagar Basketball Club (IBBC) 46 (Dhruv 11) bt Kanaka, Kolar 20. HT 17-6.
- Rising Star, Mysore 51 (Supradeep 19) bt Rovers, Dharwad 36 (Yash 10) HT 27-18.
Schedule for Day 6, Tuesday, 9-7-2013:
Court No. 1
- Southern Blues v. Sports Authority of India (SAI), Dharwad; 3:00 pm onwards
- VBC, Mandya v. Kanaka, Kolar
Court No. 2
- Sports Hostel, Bangalore v. Rising Star, Mysore; 3:00 pm onwards
- Bharath Sports Union gets a walkover