Rashid Khan Armaan is an Afghan player who is regarded as the youngest captain to lead an international team. He is also one of the few bowlers to have taken four wickets in four balls. He is one of the first players from Afghanistan to play Test cricket.
Table of Contents
- Biography - About Rashid Khan
- Rashid Khan - Along the Years
Biography - About Rashid Khan
Rashid Khan was born on 20 September 1998 at Nangarhar in Afghanistan. He is a right-arm leg-break bowler and a right-handed batsman. He plays as the chief spinner in his team but has improved on the batting front as well. Hence, he is an occasional all-rounder in his team.
Rashid Khan has spent a part of his younger days in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan during the Afghan War before he returned back to his normal life in Afghanistan. He idolises the Pakistani cricketer Shahid Afridi, who also hails from Pashtun ethnicity — same as Rashid Khan.
Rashid Khan - Along the Years
|2015||17||Made ODI and T20I debut|
|2016||18||Made his First Class Debut for Band e Amir Dragons|
|2017||19||Took the Best Bowling figures for an associate nation (5/3)|
|2018||19||Became the youngest player to lead a team at international level|
|2018||20||Became the youngest player to reach No. 1 spot in ICC ODI bowler's rankings|
|2019||21||Became the youngest Captain to lead a Test team|
Rashid Khan has plenty of records to his name as he has been a bright player for the Afghanistan cricket team.
- Rashid Khan holds the record for the best bowling figures for an associate nation in One Day Internationals. He achieved this record in 2017 against West Indies.
- Rashid Khan also holds the record for being the youngest player to become the No. 1 bowler in One Day International Rankings of the ICC.
- He is also the youngest player to reach the top spot in ICC T20I bowlers rankings.
- Rashid Khan is also the youngest player (19 years 165 days) to lead an international squad.
- Rashid also holds the record for taking the least time in reaching the 50 wickets mark in T20 Internationals. He took only 2 years and 220 days to do so.
- Rashid Khan is also the youngest player to take 100 wickets in One Day Internationals. He is also the fastest player to do so in only 44 matches.
- Rashid also holds the record for having the best bowling figures for Afghanistan with 5 wickets for 3 runs.
- He is also the first player to take 5 wickets in only 2 overs in a T20I.
- With the Irish player Paul Stirling, Rashid Khan is holding the record for taking the most wickets from different teams in the same One Day International match. Both the players had taken 6 wickets in the match.
- He is also one of the few players to have taken 4 wickets in 4 balls.
- Rashid Khan also holds the record for conceding the most runs in an inaugural Test match (152 runs).
- He also holds the record for bowling the most expensive spell in a World Cup with 110 runs in 9 overs.
- Rashid Khan is the first Afghan bowler to take a 5-wicket and a 10-wicket haul in Test matches.
- He is also the first player to take a 10-wicket haul as a captain in Test matches.
- Rashid Khan is also the first player to score a half-century and take 10 wickets in the same Test match.
- Rashid Khan also holds the record for taking the first-ever hat-trick in the Caribbean Premier League. He took his Hat-trick in the 2017 season.
Rashid Khan has had a bright career so far in all the three formats of the game. His career has a lot to boast on, as he has a lot of remarkable achievements to his name.
Rashid Khan plays for Band e Amir Dragons in the domestic cricket of Afghanistan. He has scored a half-century as well as taken 55 wickets in the First Class Matches so far.
Rashid Khan played his first match against Zimbabwe at Bulawayo on 18 October 2015. He took 1 wicket in the match. So far, he has 133 wickets to his name in the One Day Internationals.
Rashid Khan was one of the first players to play Test cricket for Afghanistan cricket team and made his debut against India on 14 June 2018. India won the match and Rashid Khan proved out to be an expensive bowler in the match, taking 2 wickets for 153 runs.
The T20I debut for Rashid Khan came a few days after his ODI debut on 26 October 2015 at Bulawayo against Zimbabwe. The Afghan team won the match by 6 wickets and Rashid Khan has taken 1 wicket in the match.
Rashid Khan has been playing for various teams across the World. At present, he is an active member of Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Indian Premier League, Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash League and Sussex County in the English County Cricket.
He emerged as the sixth-highest wicket-taker in the 2017 season of the Indian Premier League while playing for Sunrisers Hyderabad. In the 2018 season, he was retained by the franchise and emerged as the second-highest wicket-taker in the league with 21 wickets. In the 2019 season of the Indian Premier League, Rashid Khan finished with 16 wickets in 15 matches.
In the 2017 Caribbean Premier League, Rashid Khan took a Hat-trick and finished as the fourth-highest wicket-taker in the league with 14 wickets. In the 2017-18 Big Bash League, Rashid Khan finished as a member of the winning team and also as the highest wicket-taker with 18 wickets in 11 matches.
Rashid Khan has also played for teams such as Comilla Victorians, Kabul Zwanan and Durban Heat in the past seasons of the respective leagues.
Also see - Shaheen Afridi Biography
Rashid Khan has led the Afghan team on various occasions and was later appointed as the captain of the national team in all the three formats of the game. He had successfully led the Afghan team into qualifying for the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup in the ICC World Cup Qualifiers of 2018.
He has a great record as the captain of the national team and is undefeated in Tests and T20 Internationals. In One Day Internationals, Rashid has led the team in 4 matches and has won only 1 match. In December 2019, he was dismissed as the captain of the team after the former captain Asghar Afghan was reappointed as the skipper in all the three formats of the game.
Rashid Khan was born in a Pashtun family from Afghanistan and has 10 siblings. However, not much is known about his family as they are scattered all over Afghanistan. His father had passed away during the 2018 season of the Big Bash League.