Lasith Malinga is known as the Yorker king for his accurate and consistent yorkers which help him take consecutive wickets in a match.
Table of Contents
- Lasith Malinga Biography
- Along the Years
- Awards and Accolades
Lasith Malinga Biography
Lasith Malinga was born on 28 August 1983 at Galle in Sri Lanka. He is a right-handed fast bowler and a right handed batsman. He is primarily used as a fast bowler in his team and specializes in death over bowlings.
Along the Years
|2001||18||Made First Class debut|
|2004||21||Made Test and ODI debut|
|2007||24||First Hat-trick taken against South Africa|
|2011||28||Second World Cup Hattrick taken against Kenya|
|2014||31||Led the Sri Lankan team to victory in 2014 T20I World Cup|
|2019||35||Retired from One Day Internationals|
The Sri Lankan bowler holds various international records such as:
- He is the only player to have taken 4 wickets on 4 consecutive balls on two occasions in two different formats of the game. He did this against South Africa in 2007 and against New Zealand in 2019.
- Lasith Malinga is the first bowler to take 100 international wickets in all the three formats of the game.
- Lasith is also the first bowler to have taken 100 wickets in T20Is.
- Lasith Malinga also remains the only bowler to have three hat tricks in One Day Internationals.
- The Sri Lankan fast bowler also hold the record for having two World Cup hat-tricks in two different World Cups — 2007 & 2011.
- Lasith Malinga is the only bowler to have taken five international hat-tricks.
- He has taken 387 wickets in T20Is which is the highest for a Sri Lankan.
- He is the quickest bowler to reach 50 wickets mark in One Day Internationals.
- Lasith Malinga also holds the record for the highest 9th wicket partnership in One Day Internationals with a score of 132 runs along with Angelo Mathews.
- He is the only Sri Lankan player to score a half century when batting at number 10.
Awards and Accolades
- Lasith Malinga has received 7 Player of the match awards from 2011 to 2019.
- Also, Lasith Malinga was named as the Best T20I bowler in T20Is by Sri Lanka Cricket.
Also see - Kagiso Rabada biography
Lasith Malinga has been one of the brightest cricketers from Sri Lanka cricket team and has had a decorated career since the beginning.
Lasith Malinga made his First Class debut in the 2001-02 season and has played 84 matches so far. He has taken 257 wickets with 7 5-wicket hauls and 16 4-wicket hauls. He has also taken 446 wickets in 290 List A matches.
Lasith Malinga made his Test debut on 1 July 2004 against Australia at Darwin. He took 6 wickets in the match, however Sri Lanka lost it by 149 runs. In 30 Test matches he has played so far, he has taken 101 wickets with 3 5-wicket hauls.
Lasith Malinga made his ODI debut against United Arab Emirates on 17 July 2004 at Dambulla. He took 1 wicket in the match. Also, in his ODI career he has played 226 matches and taken 338 wickets. He has 8 5-wicket hauls in One Day Internationals.
Lasith Malinga has taken 106 wickets in 79 matches. He has taken 2 5-wicket hauls in T20Is and also has two hat-tricks to his name.
Lasith Malinga was the captain of the Sri Lankan team in the 2014 T20 World Cup. He took the position after the captain Dinesh Chandimal had been banned and led the team to victory in the World Cup. He has also captained the team on rare occasions in ODIs when there was a requirement but has never held the position of the regular captain.
Lasith Malinga is the son of Separmadu Milton and Swarna Thenuwara. Lasith Malinga is married to Tanya Perera and has a son.