Captain - Shreyas Iyer
Vice Captain - NA
Ambassador(S) - NA
Jersey - Blue with a red accent.
Theme Song - Roar Macha
Major Rival(s) - Chennai Super Kings, Kings XI Punjab, Kolkata Knight Riders.
Logo - A shield with Delhi Capitals written with three tigers below it and a silhouette of the red fort.
Table of Contents
- DC History
- Administration and Support Staff
- Team Sponsors
- All-time Team Stats
- Batting Stats
- Bowling Stats
- Team Performance
- Fan Base
- DC Squad: Players to Watchout
- FAQs on Delhi Capitals
The Delhi Capital formerly known as Delhi Daredevils, is a franchise cricket team based in Delhi, which participates in the Indian Premier League. Delhi Daredevils changed their name to Delhi Capitals in 2019. The team has Arun Jaitley stadium, in Delhi for its home ground. The team is currently led by the young Indian batsman, Shreyas Iyer. One of the most successful captains of world cricket, Ricky Ponting is DC's head coach. Delhi Capitals are yet to even reach the finals let alone win a title.
- Virender Sehwag was named the captain.
- Delhi Daredevils showed great promise in the first season.
- They reached the semi finals but we're however knocked out by the Rajasthan Royals who went on to lift the inaugural title.
- Dominating the entirety of the 2009 season, Daredevils reached the top of the table when the group stages ended, thanks to their captain Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, AB de Villiers and Dirk Nannes.
- However they again crumbled in the semi-finals against Deccan Chargers. Adam Gilchrist struck IPL's fastest fifty off 17 balls.
- Dinesh Karthik became captain of the Delhi based franchise.
- Daredevils fell short of receiving the semi finals finishing fifth.
- James Hopes assumed captaincy duties.
- Yet another disappointing season for the Daredevils finishing right at the last at 10th place.
- Mahela Jayawardene was made the captain.
- Delhi crumbled again at the semi finals finishing third.
- Daredevils had yet another captaincy change in Ross Taylor.
- Delhi finished at the bottom of the table at 9th place.
- David Warner was named captain of the Daredevils.
- The 2014 edition was played in the UAE.
- Daredevils finished eighth at the bottom of the table.
- Kevin Pietersen assumed captainship responsibilities.
- Delhi bought Yuvraj Singh for 16 crores.
- Delh Daredevils was on the receiving end of criticism from experts and fans alike due to their poor performance.
- Delhi Daredevils finished seventh in this season.
- JP Duminy was appointed captain of the Daredevils.
- The Daredevils had an impressive start to the sixth season.
- Although they were the favourites to reach the playoffs, however they finished sixth on the points table.
- Zaheer Khan was appointed the captain of Delhi Daredevils.
- Delhi finished 6th in the 2017 IPL season.
- Gautam Gambhir was appointed the captain of the Delhi team.
- He however stepped down viewing his poor forms which opened the doors of captaincy for the young Shreyas Iyer.
- It was a disappointing season for the Delhi franchise but they finished the season at the eight place.
- Delhi Daredevils changed their name to Delhi Capitals.
- Delhi retained 14 players from its previous roster. Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan joined them as a result of a trade with Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Sourav Ganguly became their official advisor.
- Delhi Capitals reached the playoffs after seven whole years.
- They however lost in the playoffs and ended second runners up.
- DC's recent additions before the 2020 IPL are- Ajinkya Rahane, Jason Roy, Shimron Hetmyer, Chris Woakes, Marcus Stoinis, Lalit Yadav, Alex Carey, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohit Sharma, Tushar Despande.
Administration and Support Staff
CEO: Dhiraj Malhotra
Head Coach: Ricky Ponting
Assistant Coach: Mohammad Kaif
Fast Bowling Coach: James Hope
Spin Bowling Coach: Samuel Badree
Talent Scout: Vijay Dahiya
Physiotherapist: Patrick Farhart
Delhi Capitals are continuing with their last year's IPL sponsors - Daikin. Daikin Industries, Ltd. is a Japanese multinational air conditioning manufacturing company headquartered in Osaka. It has operations in Japan, China, Australia, United States, India, Southeast Asia, Europe, Middle East, Latin America, and Africa
All-time Team Stats
Most Runs: Shikhar Dhawan- 4579
Most Centuries: Rishabh Pant- 1
Most Fifties: Shikhar Dhawan- 37
Fastest Fifty: Chris Morris- 17 balls
Fastest Century: Ajinkya Rahane- 2
Best Batting Average: Rishabh Pant- 36.16
Best Strike Rate: Rishabh Pant- 162.69
Most Sixes: Shikhar Dhawan- 96
Most Fours: Shikhar Dhawan- 524
Highest Individual Score: Rishabh Pant- 128*
Highest Batting Partnerships by Wicket: Mahela Jayawardene and Virender Sehwag- 151 runs
Also see: DC 2020 Schedule
Most Wickets: Amit Mishra- 157
Best Economy: Glenn McGrath- 6.61
Best Bowling Figures: Amit Mishra- 4-17-5
Best Bowling Average: Kagiso Rabada- 17.93
Most Maidens: Amit Mishra- 6
Most Runs Conceded: Umesh Yadav- 4-65-0
Most 4 Wickets: Amit Mishra- 3
Most Dot Balls: Amit Mishra- 1111
|Year||Captain||Result||Top Batsman||Runs||Top Bowler||Wickets||Win %|
|2019||Shreyas Iyer||3rd||Shikhar Dhawan||521||Kagiso Rabada||25||62.50|
|2018||Shreyas Iyer||8th||Rishabh Pant||684||Trent Boult||18||35.71|
|2017||Zaheer Khan||6th||Sanju Samson||386||Pat Cummins||15||42.85|
|2016||JP Duminy||6th||Quinton de Kock||454||Chris Morris||13||50.00|
|2015||Kevin Pietersen||7th||JP Duminy||414||Imran Tahir||15||35.71|
|2014||David Warner||8th||JP Duminy||410||Imran Tahir||9||14.28|
|2013||Ross Taylor||9th||David Warner||410||Umesh Yadav||16||18.75|
|2012||Mahela Jayawardene||3rd||Virender Sehwag||495||Morne Morkel||25||68.75|
|2011||James Hopes||10th||Virender Sehwag||424||Morne Morkel||13||28.57|
|2010||Dinesh Karthik||5th||Virender Sehwag||356||Amit Mishra||17||50.00|
|2009||Gautam Gambhir||3rd||AB de Villiers||465||Ashish Nehra||19||71.42|
|2008||Virender Sehwag||4th||Gautam Gambhir||534||Yo Mahesh||16||50.00|
Despite disappointing performances season after season, Delhi Capitals has still managed to establish a loyal fan base. So far, Delhi has never been able to reach the IPL finals ever, and yet fans continue to rally behind their team. Cricket had been a popular sport in the nation's capital and the city had produced several international cricketers in the past.
The official Instagram handle of DC has over 1.1 million followers. On YouTube the official Delhi Capitals account has over 100K subscribers. Delhi Capitals' Facebook page is also very active with regular updates and uploads with 5.3 million followers.
DC Squad: Players to Watchout
#1. Shikhar Dhawan
India’s ace opener is a master of the game. Shikhar Dhawan is simply a treat to watch when he is on the go. He was the highest run scorer for the Capitals with 521 runs.
#2. Jason Roy
Jason Roy is the newest addition to the Delhi Capitals team 2020. He is widely regarded as a T20 specialist. The English batsman is more than capable of raising havoc on the opponent bowling attack single-handedly. He can be very dangerous once he gets into the groove.
#3. Rishabh Pant
Probably one of the most dynamic young Indian batsmen. He began his Test career with a six. One can only imagine how dangerous he becomes when it comes to T20 cricket. He was the highest run scorer for DD in 2018 with 684 runs.
#4. Amit Mishra
Amit Mishra brings a lot of experience along with him. He is one of Delhi Capitals' most successful bowlers in the IPL. Amit Mishra is basically a wizard when it comes to spinning the ball.
#5. Ravichandran Ashwin
Ashwin is undoubtedly one of the biggest catches for the DC Squad as they roped him in from the Kings XI Punjab. With someone like Ravi Ashwin in their troops, the Delhi team looks far more formidable than ever before especially in the spin department.
FAQs on Delhi Capitals
1. Which players did DC retain before the 2020 auctions?
A. DC retained the following players before the 2020 auction : Shikhar Dhawan, Prithvi Shaw, Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant, Kagiso Rabada, Ishant Sharma, Sandeep Lamichhane and Amit Sharma.
2. Who were the players released by DC before the 2020 auctions?
A. DC released the following players before the 2020 auction : Hanuma Vihari, Jalaj Saxena, Manjot Kalra, Ankush Bains, Nathu Singh, Bandaru Ayappa, Chris Morris, Colin Ingram, Colin Munro.
3. Who were the players bought by DC in the 2020 auctions?
A. DC team 2020 players list reveal that the Capital's have bought the following players in the 2020 auction : Ajinkya Rahane, Jason Roy, Shimron Hetmyer, Chris Woakes, Marcus Stoinis, Lalit Yadav, Alex Carey, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohit Sharma, Tushar Despande.