Captain - KL Rahul
Vice Captain - NA
Ambassador(S) - Preity Zinta
Jersey - Red Jersey paired with silver pants.
Theme Song - NA
Major Rival(s) - Kolkata Knight Riders, Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings, Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Logo - A red plaque with the name Punjab Kings written on it in Gold along with a lion’s face.
Table of Contents
- PBKS History
- Administration and Support Staff
- Team Sponsors
- Fan Base
- Team Performance
- All-time Team Stats
- Batting Stats
- Bowling Stats
- KXIP Squad: Players to Watchout
- Punjab Kings FAQs
The Punjab Kings a.k.a. PBKS is a franchise cricket team based in Punjab, which participates in the Indian Premier League. Punjab Kings was founded in 2008. The team has PCA Stadium, in Mohali for its home ground. The team is currently led by KL Rahul who has been appointed as the captain since IPL 2020. PBKS has won zero IPL titles so far.
- Local boy, Yuvraj Singh was appointed the captain for the first season of the IPL in 2008.
- KXIP finishes third in the first IPL season.
- KXIP couldn't repeat the heroics of 2008 and fail to reach the playoffs.
- KXIP finished the tournament at the 5th place.
- Kumar Sangakkara appointed KXIP's captain.
- KXIP finishes last at the 8th position.
- Adam Gilchrist replaced Sangakkara as the captain.
- KXIP finishes last at the 6th position.
- Another disappointing year as KXIP finishes the season at the 6th place.
- George Bailey became captain
- The 2014 edition was perhaps the most heartbreaking one for KXIP.
- The KXIP squad and it's fans had to face despair as they finished runner-up losing to KKR in the finals.
- George Bailey continues as the captain.
- KXIP finished the season at the bottom of the table at 8th place.
- David Miller was handed leadership duties.
- Luck doesn't take KXIP 's side for the second season in a row and they again end the season at the 8th place.
- Glenn Maxwell is appointed the team's captain.
- It was an uneventful season for Kings XI Punjab and they finished fifth on the table.
- Ravichandran Ashwin appointed the captain.
- Kings XI Punjab have an amazing start winning most of their games in the beginning of the season.
- They however go off track mid-way through the tournament and go on a losing streak.
- Kings XI Punjab finished seventh.
- Andrew The finishes the season with 24 wickets
- Another year but the same story for the KXIP squad.
- Kings XI Punjab again falter after a brilliant start.
- Another disappointing year as KXIP finishes the season at 6th place.
- KXIP player list added the following players before the 2020 IPL- Krishnappa Gowtham, Jagadeesha Suchith, Glenn Maxwell, Chris Jordan, James Neesham, Deepak Hooda, Tajinder Singh, Simran Singh, Sheldon Cottrell, Ishan Porel, Ravi Bishnoi.
- Finished 6th on the points table
- KXIP player list has the following additions before the 2021 IPL - Dawid Malan, Jhye Richardson, Shahrukh Khan, Moises Henriques, Jalaj Saxena, Utkarsh Singh, Fabian Allen, Saurabh Kumar
Administration and Support Staff
Director of Cricket Operations Manager: Anil Kumble
Head Coach: Anil Kumble
Batting Coach: Wasim Jaffer
Spin Bowling Coach: Sunil Joshi
Fielding Coach: Jonty Rhodes
Talent Scout: Courtney Walsh
Punjab Kings has recently signed EbixCash as their primary sponsors. India's largest financial exchange disruptor, EbixCash have agreed to become Punjab Kings’ title sponsor for a three year period from IPL 2020.
Punjab Kings surely doesn't have the largest fan base but it does have the most loyal fan base of all the teams in the IPL. Despite the disappointing and unsatisfactory performances by the team over the years, fans still support the franchise with all their heart.
The official Instagram handle of PBKS has close to 2 million followers while their Twitter ID has 2.3 million followers. On YouTube the official Punjab Kings account has 318K subscribers. KXIP's Facebook page is also very active with regular updates and uploads catering to 8.6 million followers.
|Year||Captain||Rank||Top Batsman||Runs||Top Bowler||Wickets||Win %|
|2020||KL Rahul||6th||KL Rahul||670||Mohammad Shami||20||42.86|
|2019||Ravichandran Ashwin||6th||KL Rahul||593||Mohammad Shami||19||42.85|
|2018||Ravichandran Ashwin||7th||KL Rahul||659||Andrew Tye||24||42.85|
|2017||Glenn Maxwell||5th||Hashim Amla||420||Sandeep Sharma||17||50|
|2016||David Miller||8th||Murali Vijay||453||Sandeep Sharma||15||28.57|
|2015||George Bailey||8th||David Miller||357||Anureet Singh||15||27.27|
|2014||George Bailey||2nd||Glenn Maxwell||552||Sandeep Sharma||18||70.59|
|2013||Adam Gilchrist||6th||David Miller||418||Azhar Mahmood||15||50|
|2012||Adam Gilchrist||6th||Mandeep Singh||432||Parvinder Awana||17||50|
|2011||Adam Gilchrist||5th||Shaun Marsh||504||Ryan Harris||16||50|
|2010||Kumar Sangakkara||8th||Mahela Jayawardene||439||Irfan Pathan||15||28.57|
|2009||Yuvraj Singh||5th||Yuvraj Singh||340||Irfan Pathan||17||50|
|2008||Yuvraj Singh||3rd||Shaun Marsh||616||S. Sreesanth||19||66.67|
All-time Team Stats
Most Runs: Shaun Marsh: 2477 runs
Most Centuries: Hashim Amla, KL Rahul: 2
Most Fifties: Shaun Marsh: 20
Fastest Fifty: KL Rahul: 14 balls
Fastest Century: David Miller: 38 balls
Best Batting Average: Deepak Hooda: 101.00
Best Strike Rate: Reetinder Sodhi: 200.00
Most Sixes: David Miller: 91
Most Fours: Shaun Marsh: 266
Highest Individual Score: KL Rahul: 132
Most Wickets: Piyush Chawla: 84 wickets
Best Economy: Adam Gilchrist: 0.00
Best Bowling Figures: Ankit Rajpoot- 4-14-5
Best Bowling Average: Rahul Tewatia: 16.33
Most Maidens: Praveen Kumar: 10
Most Runs Conceded: Mujeeb Ur Rahman- 4-66-0
Most 4 Wickets: Andrew Tye: 3
Also see: KXIP 2021 Schedule
KXIP Squad: Players to Watchout
#1. KL Rahul
KL Rahul has been at the top of his form recently and since joining Kings XI Punjab he has been dominating the IPL. He was the leading run scorer for KXIP in 2018 and 2019 with 659 and 593 rubs respectively. And, now after being appointed captain, KL gets to prove his abilities as a leader. In IPL 2020, he topped the charts of the highest run-getters in the tournament and won the Orange Cap.
#2. Chris Gayle
There is no name bigger than Chris Gayle in the world of T20 cricket. Even at this stage of his career Gayle commands respect from his opponents, thanks to his hard-hitting batsmanship and ability to take the game away from the opponents single-handedly.
#3. Mohammad Shami
India's ace pacer, Mohammad Shami is one of the important pillars of the PBKS squad. Although Shami has not been up to his full potential at the IPL till now, he still managed to bag 20 wickets which was the most for PBKS last season.
#4. Nicholas Pooran
Nicholas Pooran is one of the most dangerous batsmen coming from the West Indian islands. He has scored over 3,000 runs in the shortest format of the game at a whopping strike rate of 144.46. Very few cricketers can boast of such a record and the Kings will be happy to have him in their ranks.
#5. Dawid Malan
Currently the No. 1 ranked batsman in ICC T20I Batting rankings, England’s Dawid Malan will be making his IPL debut in the 2021 season. He will be seen wearing the Punjab Kings colours when he enters the field trying to take the world’s best T20 league by storm as the world’s best T20 batsman at the international level.
Punjab Kings FAQs
Q1. Which players did KXIP retain before the 2021 auctions?
A. PBKS retained the following players before the 2021 auction: KL Rahul, Chris Gayle, Mayank Agarwal, Nicholas Pooran, Mandeep Singh, Sarfaraz Khan, Deepak Hooda, Prabhsimran Singh, Mohammed Shami, Chris Jordan, Darshan Nalkande, Ravi Bishnoi, Murugan Ashwin, Arshdeep Singh, Harpreet Brar, Ishan Porel.
Q2. Who were the players released by KXIP before the 2021 auctions?
A. PBKS released the following players before the 2021 auction: Glenn Maxwell, Karun Nair, Hardus Viljoen, Jagadeesha Suchith, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Sheldon Cottrell, Jimmy Neesham, Krishnappa Gowtham, Tajinder Singh
Q3. Who were the players bought by KXIP in the 2021 auctions?
A. The following players into the PBKS 2021 squad: Dawid Malan, Jhye Richardson, Shahrukh Khan, Moises Henriques, Jalaj Saxena, Utkarsh Singh, Fabian Allen, Saurabh Kumar