He said what?! The best NFL quotes of week eight
The Minnesota Vikings had plenty of fun in England, while Zach Miller suffered a horrific knee injury for the Chicago Bears.
Chicago Bears coach John Fox is optimistic about Zach Miller's knee injury, while the Minnesota Vikings enjoyed England.
Bears tight end Miller suffered a horrific knee injury on Sunday, dislocating his left knee. There were reports he was in danger of losing his leg, but Fox provided an update Monday. While Miller is not yet "out of the woods", Fox said the 33-year-old veteran from Nebraska is in good spirits and has good circulation in his lower leg.
Despite making a one-handed grab in the end zone on the play, Miller's touchdown was taken away following a replay review and the Bears lost to the New Orleans Saints.
The Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers also lost Sunday to remain winless; the Vikings had some fun in England; Saints running back Mark Ingram and Indianapolis Colts receiver Kamar Aiken were disappointed in their respective performances; and Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence had an interesting way to describe the Dallas defense.
Here's the latest edition of "He said what?!"
– Fox on Miller's mood following surgery: "He pretty much wanted his touchdown back."
– Browns coach Hue Jackson on getting the team's first win: "Everything has to be perfect for us to have a chance to win a football game. But we all know that's not how football is played. You can't be perfect."
– Vikings receiver Adam Thielen on his football-style touchdown celebration during Sunday's win over the Browns in England: "I always played FIFA and stuff like that growing up, and seeing those guys celebrate, I kind of got inspiration from that. Supposedly, I stole it. [Vikings tight end] Kyle [Rudolph] did it in practice the other day and I must have saw it and wanted to do it, too, but I beat him to the punch, I guess."
– Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen on being 6-2 heading into the bye week: "This is the best team I've ever been a part of, from top to bottom."
– Ingram on his performance against the Bears: "I let my team-mates down. I put us in a bad position. The game was only close because I sucked. I sucked. I sucked. That's the bottom line: I sucked. Two possessions we're about to ice the game, and I sucked. Let the ball go, hurt my team, hurt my coaches. That's the thing about a family, that's the thing about a team: They lift you up, they had my back, and we were able to get the W. But I was whack, I sucked, and I'll be better."
– Aiken on having just two catches for 33 yards in Sunday's 24-23 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals: "S***, I blew my plays. Plays I usually make. Every target I had was catchable. My team-mates aren't going to say it, but I can take it on the shoulder. I had a big part to do [with the loss]."
– Raiders quarterback Derek Carr on the team's 3-5 start: "No one thought that, especially with the kind of guys we have and how we work. Where do we go from here? We do the same thing that we always do. We work."
– Lawrence on getting four sacks and forcing three turnovers in Sunday's 33-19 win over the Washington Redskins: "We're like a bunch of wild animals. You hit a quarterback enough times, they start looking at you like they're expecting it again."
– 49ers receiver Pierre Garcon on being 0-8: "You learn a lot from losing. When you're winning you think you're on top of the world, but you learn a lot more from losing. We'll go back and watch [the film], try to get better. Work on things. Keep learning. Keep taking things away. Just keep playing. You can't give up."
– Broncos coach Vance Joseph on Monday's "unacceptable" five turnovers, including three interceptions thrown by quarterback Trevor Siemian: "You can't win games that way. To win, we've got to stop that... Our defense played winning football. Our offensive line blocked [well] and we ran the ball for 177 [yards] and the pass pro was better, but it all falls back to turning the ball over five times."