A Super Over was introduced in the Indian Premier League from the inaugural edition in 2008. There have been 8 IPL Super Overs in the first twelve editions of the tournament.
What is a Super Over?
A Super Over is played to obtain a result in case a limited-overs match ends in a tie. Both teams involved play an over each. The team that batted second in the match bats first in the Super Over and vice-versa. The team that scores more runs at the end of their Super Over wins the match.
IPL Super Over Rules
- The Super Over shall commence 10 minutes after the conclusion of the match
- The side batting second in the match will bat first in the Super Over
- The Super Over will be played on the same pitch as the match
- Umpires will stay at the same end as the last over of the match
- Fielding side can chose the side to bowl from
- Fielding restrictions shall remain the same as the last over of the match
- Only 3 batsmen (2 wickets) and 1 bowler from each team are allowed to take part in an IPL Super Over.
- There will be unlimited number of Super Overs if one team doesn’t end up scoring more runs than the other after a tie-up.
Super Overs in IPL History
|Sr. No.||Date||Teams||Venue||Match Score||Super Over Winner|
|1||23/04/2009||Kolkata Knight Riders vs Rajasthan Royals||Cape Town||150||Rajasthan Royals|
|2||21/03/2010||Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab||Chennai||136||Kings XI Punjab|
|3||16/04/2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals)||Bangalore (now Bengaluru)||152||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|4||07/04/2013||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore||Hyderabad||130||Sunrisers Hyderabad|
|5||29/04/2014||Kolkata Knight Riders vs Rajasthan Royals||Abu Dhabi||152||Rajasthan Royals|
|6||29/04/2017||Gujarat Lions vs Mumbai Indians||Rajkot||153||Mumbai Indians|
|7||30/03/2019||Delhi Capitals vs Kolkata Knight Riders||Delhi||185||Delhi Capitals|
|8||02/05/2019||Mumbai Indians vs Sunrisers Hyderabad||Mumbai||162||Mumbai Indians|
*Updated after IPL 2019
FAQs on IPL Super Over
1] What happens if a Super Over is tied?
A. If a Super Over in IPL is tied, it will be followed by another Super Over till a result is obtained.
2] Are Super Over runs counted?
A. No, Super Over runs do not go in any record and the players play it only to get a result.
3] What if the number of boundaries are the same?
A. The boundary count rule has been removed by the ICC and similarly by the BCCI for the IPL and thus the number of boundaries do not matter anymore.
IPL Super Over Trivia
- Kolkata Knight Riders have been involved in most number of ties (3) in the IPL.
- Rajasthan Royals have won the most number of IPL Super Overs (2).
- The highest total in a tied match is 185 (KKR vs DC) and the lowest score is 130 (SRH vs RCB).
- All eight teams participating in IPL 2020 have played at least one Super Over but CSK and KKR are yet to win one.