India opener Prithvi Shaw has been given an eight-month ban for a doping violation, the International Cricket Council (ICC) has confirmed.
According to a statement released by the ICC, the 19-year-old "inadvertently ingested a prohibited substance, which can commonly be found in cough syrups".
Shaw accepted his charge from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and explained the substance was present in an over-the-counter remedy he bought to treat a respiratory tract infection.
The 19-year-old, who scored a century on his Test debut against West Indies last October, will be banned until November 15 as his punishment is backdated to March 16.
Following his impressive introduction at international level, Shaw suffered an ankle injury while fielding during a warm-up game on India's tour of Australia and played no part in the tourists' 2-1 Test series win.
Shaw will miss India's series in the West Indies and at home to South Africa, although he will be available for the second Test of the subsequent two-match rubber against Bangladesh.Published 30 Jul 2019, 22:34 IST