Video: Liverpool-Manchester United rivalry - Interesting stats and facts
Manchester United take on Liverpool at Anfield in the EPL this Sunday
Ahead of Manchester United's trip to Anfield to play Liverpool, we've found quite a few interesting facts about both clubs. Optapowered fantasy football game Oulala.com have taken a closer look at one of the most famous fixture in English football. Let's start with some history.
In total, both teams have played 191 matches so far. In their very first match in 1895 at Anfield, the Reds won 7-1. Overall, United are more successful with 76 victories as against Liverpool’s 64.
Both clubs have won 121 honours with United in the lead. However, both sides can claim supremacy: United for their 20 league titles to Liverpool's 18; Liverpool for being European champions five times to United's three.
Since the 1964 transfer of Phil Chisnall from United to Liverpool, no player has been transferred directly between the two clubs. Paul Ince is one of only three players since the 1960s, along with Peter Beardsley and Michael Owen, to have played for both clubs' first teams. Beardsley also played for Liverpool's and United's two big rivals, Everton and Manchester City.
- Ex-Everton player Wayne Rooney once said he still remembers how he grew up hating the Reds.
- Steven Gerrard has a nice collection of football shirts he had swapped with opposing players but you won’t find any Manchester United jerseys on display.
- Alex Ferguson once got hit by an egg, thrown by a Liverpool fan. On another occasion he was punched in the face.
- An unidentified Liverpool fan also spat at Eric Cantona.
- Luis Suárez racially abused United’s Patrice Evra, calling him ”negrito”.
Liverpool currently lie 5th in the table with 54 points, having won five consecutive Premier League games. Their last defeat occurred on December 14th – against Manchester United. The Red Devils, who won their last three Premier League matches, sit 4th with 56 points. With both teams fighting for a place in the Champions League, we can expect no less than an epic battle.