COOKIE CONSENT
Create
Notifications
Favorites Edit

Soccer: Injured Mane named to play in Senegal's World Cup ties next month

Reuters
NEWS
74   //    18 Oct 2017, 20:00 IST
Soccer Football - Premier League - Liverpool vs Manchester United - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - October 14, 2017 Liverpool's Sadio Mane REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - Premier League - Liverpool vs Manchester United - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - October 14, 2017 Liverpool's Sadio Mane REUTERS/Phil Noble

DAKAR (Reuters) - Sadio Mane was named in Senegal's 25-man squad on Wednesday for their final World Cup qualifiers next month, even though his club Liverpool said last week the winger would be out for up to six weeks.

Senegal, who need two points to qualify for next year's finals in Russia, play South Africa away in Polokwane on Nov. 10 and then at home in Dakar on Nov. 14.

"Sadio Mane has resumed individual training and will probably resume full training next week," Senegal coach Aliou Cisse told a news conference. Mane hurt his hamstring in Senegal's last Group D game -- a 2-0 away win over the Cape Verde Islands on Oct. 7, after which Liverpool said the injury "could keep him out of action for up to six weeks." Senegal have stuck with the same squad that beat the Cape Verdians, including West Ham United striker Diafra Sakho who returned to the national team and scored in the victory in Praia. However, there was once again no recall for Stoke City's Mame Biram Diouf.

(Reporting by Mark Gleeson; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Reuters
NEWS
Fetching more content...